Wednesday, July 14, 2010

First hurdle is "delightful"

My agent has declared INK FLAMINGOS "delightful." Even though I have had two first readers on the book, my agent's opinion is always the first professional one that I get on my manuscripts and he's always been very blunt and honest with me. So when he calls a manuscript "delightful," I know that it must be true. He also said that it "reads like the wind," which is one of the things I strive for when I write a book: make it move as fast as possible so the reader doesn't want to put it down.

Now it goes on to my editor. I can only hope she has the same opinion.

In other news, DRIVEN TO INK has received its first review by the ubiquitous Harriet Klausner. She says: "Karen E. Olson provides a refreshing mystery with a touch of whimsy."

The words "whimsy" and "delightful" are interesting ones, considering that the books are murder mysteries and there's at least one dead body in each. But since these are technically considered cozies, although I like to call them cozies with an edge (I mean, it's tattoos in Vegas, they can't be too cozy), then that's where the whimsy and delightfulness can come in.

Are you a cozy reader? Do you think a tattoo shop can be whimsical?

4 comments:

james O. Born said...

Your books are delightful. No surprise.

Kieran Shea said...

i believe this man here might have a thought or two on body art whimsy.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12806315

Karen Olson said...

Kieran, that is one scary looking dude.

Jim, thanks. So are yours :)

Anonymous said...

That's great news, Karen, and I have no doubt that it's true. After all, you're pretty delighful yourself!

John